Friday, November 9, 2007

Three Questions & One Cool Techie Toy

At a recent Staples-sponsored tech workshop led by a blogger I’ve come to know, I discovered that not only am I the only blogger without a business card, I’m also the only blogger without a laptop. So I’ve had to ask my luddite* self:

1. Do I want a blogger business card? Not really. I’m not doing this to earn a living, and I’m not that interested in forcing my thoughts on anyone. Heck, most of my friends don’t blog, don’t read blogs, and barely know what a blog is. Honestly, I blog because I’m actually kind of fascinated by the idea of my random thoughts floating out there in the blogosphere for anyone to catch. And I like catching other people’s random thoughts, too. It’s good weird fun. Plus, I can always remember the blogs that truly intrigue me. For instance, at the Staples event, I met a lesbian evangelical Christian blogger with a lot to say.

2. Do I want a laptop? No, no, no and no. I mean, I can pretty much assure you that I will never be live-blogging anything. I would be so very bad at that, and other people do it so well. And, for the record, I have a miserable history of note-taking in school and videotaping any live event.

3. Could I be a better blogger? Not right now, and that’s the beauty of it all. I am the blogger I am! Getting a business card and a laptop would definitely put pressure on me to blog more frequently. But I already have enough pressure in my life. The appeal of the blog to me, in the end, is “No Pressure.”

*Full disclosure: I do covet a certain GPS device.

3 comments:

titration said...

Hey there. :) So I have yet to blog about this event. I'm still thinking about it. I jotted some thoughts down and hope to blog about it sometime down the road. But yes. Blogging about a product on demand is weird. But I did like how you added a postscript. I may take your lead on that.

Thanks for the shout out.

Anonymous said...

It was so great to see you and all the others for the event. The great thing about blogging is that you should do it using your own style.. No need for a laptop if your desktop is working fine...

I am also coveting that GPS and the bluetooth earphones.

Kim Moldofsky said...

I may be able to get you a GPS at a good rate. I've been tempted to chuck ours out the window more than once!

I'm an avid blogger and I soooo want a laptop. I was hoping hey'd raffle one off and the stars would align and I'd win it. I guess I'll have to spend my own money or go without.

The business cards are simply a handy way to trade contact info. I don't see them as business-builders per se. You can get a nice set for under $10 (maybe even under $5) at www.vistaprint.com