Saturday, February 24, 2007

News I Missed

Somehow I missed two annual announcements from earlier this year.

The first is a press release from Doctors Without Borders announcing their "Top Ten" Underreported Humanitarian Stories of 2006. The press release is interesting itself, but through it, you can link to longer accounts of the ten crisis situations they feel deserve more media attention. I look forward to this annual list from an organization I admire.

The second announcement I always listen for is the American Library Association's list of children's book award winners. I didn't know until just this moment that Susan Patron won the 2007 Newbery Award for her book The Higher Power of Lucky. I met Susan years ago, and she is a beautiful person and a gifted writer for children. But there is some controversy over the book. Read Susan's response here.

No comments: